Diu is a town in Diu district in the union territory of Daman and Diu, India. The township of Diu lies at the eastern end of Diu Island, and is known for its fortress and old Portuguese Cathedral. It is also a fishing town. It is the tenth least populated district of India.
The island is at sea level and covers an area of 38.8 km². Old Diu is known for its Portuguese architecture. Diu Fort was built in 1535 and maintained an active garrison until 1960. There are three Portuguese Baroque churches, with St. Paul’s Church, completed in 1610, being the only one still in use for its original purpose. The Church of St. Francis of Assisi, the first church built in Diu, in 1593, is now used as a hospital. St. Thomas Church is currently used as a museum. With no tall buildings except the fort, Diu has a characteristically low skyline. A very ancient Lord Shiva's Temple is located on the "Gangeswar" coast.
The climate is extremely warm and humid, with an average annual rainfall of 1500 mm. The region generally, is tropical and temperatures are warm to hot. The wets period (Monsoon) is from June to September and cruises do not generally operate in this period, avoiding the Monsoon season and simply passing through here between September and May.
Population: 21,576 Daman & Diu (2001)
Language: • Official Gujarati, English
Currency: Indian Rupee
Time zone IST (UTC+5:30)